Students joining the program participate in the Bren School Honors Seminar (ICS H197), which provides an introduction to research areas in the school. ICS H197 is graded Pass/Not Pass, and the principal formal requirement is that you attend and participate. Students who are in the ICSHP are required to enroll in ICS H197 in the fall of their first year in the ICSHP.
In addition to ICS H197, students will be required to attend either CS 200S or In4matx 209S. These courses are graduate seminars that will introduce students to various research areas. Students in the ICSHP will automatically be authorized for enrollment in the graduate seminars. Program participants are encouraged to enroll in the seminars prior to doing research, so as to facilitate networking with faculty members.
All applicants must satisfy the following conditions (that correspond to their major) by the end of the quarter in which the application is made:
- An overall GPA of at least 3.2
- A GPA of at least 3.5 in the courses listed below:
- Group 1 courses – Computing (for any major, one of the following):
– ICS 21, 22, 23/46 – OR –
– ICS 31, 32, 33, 45C (or 45J) – OR –
– ICS 31, 32, 33, 45C, 23/46
- Group 2 courses – Math (for any major, one of the following):
– Math 2A-B will be required for all majors, except for In4matx.
– In4matx will include Stats 7 and ICS 6B